Thursday, October 18, 2007

Early october snow!

Well It surely is now time for yet another perplexing blog by me... YOUR SON!

What your not excited.... Whatever!

So just the other day I went up to Alta Ski Resort, and well, it was amazing. Quite the experience! We started up the canyon at about 5:45 or so... thats in the PM (you have to read that emphasizing the P, it sounds better). We got about half way and we were driving through the snow, when we got about a mile from the resort we were driving through the snow. I got kinda nervous, but I didn't say that out loud because I didn't want to make my passenger any more scared than she already was.

We finally got up there and, well, I really didn't know where to park so I pulled over at the most secure place i could... the side of the road... whatever. We geared up and went out to board, we ended up walking for like an hr until we came to a hill. Walking up the hill I wondered to myself if this really was worth it, while "she" was saying out loud what I was thinking. Well after the hike we finally got to the top of this little hill, we strapped in and went down at amazing speeds! More or less, actually it was more less than more, in fact I went so fast I slowly came to a stop mid hill... wow (you have to read that "wow" unenthusiastically).

We got to the bottom of that hill and found out that it was not worth it going back up so we started walking to another hill that we saw further up the base of the resort. So off we went... and went... and went... and went.. It frigin took like 5 hrs to get to that hill and the snow was like a foot deep so we were in it. Finally we got to the base of the next hill and started hiking up, the whole time I was saying "man this is awesome aren't you glad that we came up here?!?!" This is while I was saying to myself that this was stupid and not worth it, and her expressing my thoughts vocally... Ok so it wasn't that bad, but it felt like it. Finally reaching the top we strap in and 10 seconds later we were at the bottom! It was amazing, yep every second, the whole ten of them! There was so much powder that we couldn't go that fast, we just coasted to a stop.

Oh but thats not all we had to hike back up... but this time up to the road, which was like another 100 yards up, it was an ok walk; but not only did we have to walk up to the road we had to walk back to the car which was down the road a little ways, all this in the stupid snow storm... I tried to board down but that didn't work.

Now getting back down to the valley was even more interesting! In the car we couldn't see 15 feet ahead of us. I was kinda scared but I couldn't tell her that, finally a truck with 4 wheel drive came up, passed us and we followed them all the way down. It made me feel a lot better.

The moral of the story: Go out to the tops of the mountains and have a bundle of FUN!

1 comment:

Phil Honus said...

A powder day is always worth dying for. You should run open-armed towards death if it means blasting through a foot of fresh snow before hand. I'm glad you aren't dead, though, because I plan to risk death with you many times this year at the Bird. Wu tang.